✂ ABOUT SUSTAINABILITY ✂ It's such a big term and in fashion it can be incorporated in multiple ways. It should penetrate the practical, the technical, the economical, the aesthetic and the spiritual. Fueled by the good conversations and the variety of today's sustainable fashion seen at the Ethical Fashion Show Berlin and Greenshowroom last week, I decided to list some of the ways we are making KIKS sustainable:
1) by using only upcycled and leftover materials: one person's waste is a treasure for another. Piece-by-piece production means that we can also use end-of-rolls, seconds or pieces too small for industrial production
2) by making as little cutting waste as possible and finding new ways to use the scraps
3) by producing made-to-order: no stocks, no waste of materials and labour
4) by signing out of the exploiting fashion system that encourages us to constantly produce, consume and "need" new things and instead designing timeless, unique styles that last
5) by sourcing our materials and producing locally: this means smaller logistic footprint
6) by supporting gender-freedom, bodypositiveness and self-expression by making unisex styles, customized sizes and customized colour combos
7) by listening to our customers closely and improving our collection based on your feedback
8) by using recycled fibres/fabrics, post-consumer waste and zero-waste pattern design. Actually we started 2003 with 100% post-consumer waste! Atm these only apply to a small part of our collection - hopefully we'll make it bigger in the future
9) by caring and repairing our products
( 10) by donating a small part of the sales for causes we find good and important: we haven't done much of this yet, but would like to do more in the future!). Not perfect and by no means final, our model is just one attempt to combine the ethical, ecological and economical. It's a result of 15 years of trial and error and can and will be shaped by new innovations and personal learning. 😘 That's all folks, thanks for reading and thanks for your support!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BegbnpCnpm7/?taken-by=kiks.fi ... See MoreSee Less
Onnellinen vaatesuunnittelija sarkatakissaan toivottelee kaikille omannäköistä, onnellista joulua! Kiitokset vauhdikkaasta vuodesta joka vei KIKSin Tokiosta Berliiniin, Helsinkiin, Ouluun ja Hailuotoon (missä oheinen kuva on napattu).
Here's one happy designer wishing you all an enjoyable, your kinda Christmas! Thanks for the busy year that took KIKS from Tokyo to Berlin to Helsinki to Oulu and Hailuoto (where this pic was taken).
Pic: Joonatan Rajala ... See MoreSee Less